Sunday, March 2, 2008

A BLOGGY DAY

It's, as they used to say, a "trip" for me to get responses to my blog entries.  Some from people I know, others from those I haven't met.  Thank you for taking the time to read the blog -- and for posting comments.  It's terrifying, to lay nekked, as it were, in this blog....but it's an adventure that I'm enjoying -- and one where I'm clearly learning as I go along.  It's interesting that two of the comments posted re my last entry are from women friends dear to me for many years, one I've known since high school, who lives in Chicago; we've resumed our friendship for the steady course and not just shotgun-style, from back in the days when I'd visit Chicago to see my mom for a week or two at a time. And to get a comment from my dearest galpal, CB...my best friend since 1983...and also from MS, my new, fabu Chi-town friend and old kindred spirit.  I'm blessed to have them in my life.  Later this afternoon, MS (Kate Hepburn incarnate)invited me to join her for a romp through Oz Park...what more perfect for a crisp Sunday afternoon?

A few days ago, I also ventured out further in the blog waters by sending a group email to about 15 friends to let them know that I had started a blog.  Of course, I forgot to include the blog address (sending mixed messages...or just my latent fear? LOL), so I had to resend the info to everyone. 

I've been told that blog readers don't have a lot of time...and that my posts are perhaps a tad (!)  too long...I was gently advised that I could have cut my last marathon post into thirds...and that every post doesn't have to be a blog entry of epic proportions!  

Before I head to church this morning, I wanted to make mention of two first-rate blogs...they are highlighted in the "Blog Cabin" box, but if you haven't checked 'em out, I know you're in for a treat.  Blue Dog Stew, from my LA pal, Blue Doggie, is a forum for his sharply observed and very well-written musings, usually focusing on current political and social issues.  Blue Doggy is an enormously intelligent, compassionate and extremely passionate man when it comes to politics, law and the inequities of our society and his blog is one of the best.  He takes an unexpected, delightful turn from the kind of topic he usually focuses his high-beams on in his most recent blog entry called "Tooth or Dare," a highly amusing post on his recent foray into being the victim of cosmetic dentistry.

If you haven't hit upon Marc Olmsted: Trash Whisperer yet (link in Blog Cabin), it's blog gold. Marc, a friend from my L.A. days for many years, is the inspiration for my blog and, I'm sure, for many others.  

He's a first-rate writer, and his observations about L.A. life,  his writing career, his family, relationships, sobriety, dating, and on and on, are always thought-provoking, often provocative and invariably on-target.  His blog is the standard to which I aspire...and, even this early on in my blogging career, I am in awe of how he produces great stuff for his blog every day.  He's given me encouragement, advice and praise and criticism every step of the way with my fledging blog, and for that I am most grateful.  

I defy you to read his blog just once...you'll find yourself going back for more each day.  At least, that's how it is with me.  If anyone should get a book contract for writings derived from his blog, it's Marc Olmsted.

Heading off to church (and not a moment too soon)...happy Sunday to all.  

5 comments:

Mark Olmsted said...

Yeah, but the problem is that Marc Olmsted is he's so DAMN GOOD LOOKING and HE KNOWS IT. And then he wonders why he doesn't have a boyfriend with that arrogant attitude of his! Don't feed that big head of his, he's gonna think he Mr. King of the Blogworld now!

C.S. said...

Ah, Marc...perhaps you are like me, in that I was once described as "a rich dessert" by an ex flame...hmmm...As I fondly would say to grand old friend (and I mean, GRAND), "Darling, those men out there don't deserve you. In fact, nobody deserves you..." And we'd always laugh...

martha said...

hey wait .. did this blog become about marc all of a sudden? (hello marc, by the way.) i do believe that OZ PARK should dominate this entry ... and the old BIOGRAPH THEATRE (something our blogger hasn't talked about yet .. part of yesterday's wander) ..

i tried my best to convince our blogger that temps in the 50s are balmy at this time of year for Chicagoans .. he's not quite buying it yet. all that cushy living, all those long years in LA-LA land. Time to regrow those sturdy midwestern .. um .. cajones.

roar.

C.S. said...

marc, martha also said this in the first version of her comment, which was inadvertently deleted...

marc .. your blog is genius. i look forward to reading more.

I know you disdain praise, so I'm sure reading that was tough to take...

Unknown said...

Oh my, I've just happened upon the Marc Olmsted Society! Warning: he is habit forming!

I also tend to write long entries and I've been given the same gentle advice to shorten things and I have totally ignored it! I have mastered writing shorter comments!