Thursday, August 7, 2008

THE ERRANT BLOGGER

Since it's been about six (gulp) weeks since I've posted anything here, I am sheepishly back, contrite, as I am fending off writer's block, fatigue and the sense that so much has happened in the last several weeks, of interest perhaps to no one but myself, I haven't faced the virtual page until now...with the fear, "Have I lost my audience?" Of course, since I only have an audience of eight (a generous count), I truly might be writing for only myself at this point...so if nothing else should cure me of the dreaded writer's block, THAT should...maybe.

MS laid down the gauntlet yesterday and said, bub, if you're not gonna blog then end it, already...with an invite to be her friend on Facebook or Facelift or some such website...sure, I'm in. But I can't let this blog die...especially a slow, quiet demise...so here I am.

Last I wrote here, I was in Los Angeles..I'm going back in two weeks for five days to shop bathroom fixtures, the last frontier of the rehabbing of my house. I'll also visit with old friends and attend yet another Judy reunion...the original reason for my trip! This will be an informal gathering of some old-guard Garland devotees who attended her TV series and concerts, along with relative newbies (such as myself) and some special guests.

CB and I are sort of taking a break this month, but of course she's still on the case, wanting to bop me upside the head sometimes for not always being plugged in at full wattage -- this is my first rodeo, she's a first-rate, top-shelf, highly in demand designer, so her experience coupled with my resounding lack of experience in this arena translates into that she's saved the day on several occasions.

The house is really coming together and it's the little things, as it were, that is making it seem like I'm really in my home instead of living day to day out of a box, or boxes. When the area rugs in the living and dining room came in, that added such warmth and richness to the place...and the chalk board in the kitchen (another ingenious CB touch) was another inspired add-on...so is the gorgeous stained glass lamp in the foyer...so many big 'n small touches which are making the house come alive.

The window treatments arrive in ten days and THAT will really add so much to the coziness to the house...did I mention a boyfriend in my life would add even MORE coziness to the house...oh, where was I?

CB and I have lately coined a phrase, "Happy Mistake!" when something didn't happen we wanted or was expected...and invariably, something better, much better, came along...hence, what was a liability became an asset.

When I returned from L.A., I had three days back in Chicago before I flew to Grand Rapids, Minn. for the annual Judy Garland Festival...pics are on the right to give you some idea of the four-day event, plus the fifth day, which was spent on the glorious, spectacularly clear Great Lakes speed boating with Michael S. (an A-Lister in the Garland orbit and a fellow presenter at this year -- and in year's past), MS, along with the JG Museum's director and myself...it was the perfect way to wind down after the confab and relax before heading home.

Although my video presentation was beset with audio and video glitches, it mattered little to the SRO audience, because, once again, Judy (on video) saved the day...and I tried to get out of the way as much as possible. The audience cheered and applauded each clip...Judy does it to 'em every time. As I mentioned on a live radio interview from Grand Rapids, there is something special when you see Judy in performance (whether from her movies, TV series or television appearances, etc.) in a group...it becomes a shared experience and exponential in its effect.

Garland's sheer joy in communicating, coupled with her sublime talent, unmistakable voice (shall I go on?) create an indelible experience always, but when more than two people get together to watch her on tape or film...it ain't like nothin' else...and, once again, she triumphed in her birthplace of Grand Rapids, Minnesota from the start of the festival until the close...and this phenomenon has been repeated for more than a decade and shows no sign of stopping, attracting hundreds of Judy fans and "Oz" devotees from 'coast to coast' (as they used to say) and from around the world.

As was the case during my first jaunt there in '06, I had a wonderful time and met new friends and reconnected with old pals. Like '06, this year's fest brought some indelible moments...one of them was on the way from the airport in the Twin Cities in the rental car, a four or five hour drive to tiny Grand Rapids...a great guy, a 'local' named Brian, picked us up...and what a cargo!

Compressed together in the wee car was the driver, Margaret Pellgrini, one of the Munchkins from "The Wizard of Oz" (!), her fortright ten year old granddaughter, and myself...so for several hours, watching bugs splat on the windshield, we took in the beautiful countryside of Minnesota...jammed in the backseat of the tiny rental car as a Munchkin and twelve of Judy's original costumes from her classic movies...thank goodness we were in the boonies...if it had been West Hollywood or New York or SF or some such urban arena, the car would surely have been hijacked and I would have been tossed out without a thought...what was expendable? ME!

I got back to L.A. and a week later, flew back East....a friend of a friend invited me as his guest to his amazing, expansive home for a four-day vacation..it was the first time in over a year I had seen one of my best friends, which allowed me the chance to see a part of the country I haven't seen before. It was an ever-so-gay four days of watching vintage movie clips, Merman blasting away on records and video, Judy on tape (but of course) and lots of great conversation, quips, movie references and incredble food. And, the host of the gala, who didn't know me, but knew OF me, and sent me a cuffo (that means 'comped' in Variety lingo...!) r/t air ticket..what a guy.

A few of us went antique shopping in the small town on a Saturday afternoon. A caravan of two cars packed with gay men shopping for antiques -- did they see us coming, or WHAT? One eagle-eyed obsever in our posse found an original "Oz" book from 1902 for only 25 cents! It was an amazing find and though it wasn't in the best shape, it was quite the find, and the richly detailed color plates were intact and stunning (if only I could say the same amount myself - !)

This weekend gathering brought us together with the elder statesmen of the group, a wonderful older gentleman who introduced the two of us back in 1978...it was amazing to hear our older friend speak of being gay in a small town in the 1940's...having few outlets...feeling completely alone...the spectre of being arrested for the most innocent of encounters (and not so innocent)...being a regular at director George Cukor's house on Sunday for the all-male pool parties and so on...for someone to speak off-the-cuff about being gay in America in 1946 and how far we've come (even when sometimes we think we haven't...and, in some ways, to be sure, we haven't), it's a lesson indeed to hear from an elder statesman to give perspective and to remind us younger folk what others before us did in defiance to bring us the freedom we take for granted today.

More later (and soon!) but thanks for coming back to read...I promise to not be tardy again...or at least, so tardy! Next time, I'll write about some personal stuff and not just make this an ever-so-gay travelogue...

3 comments:

martha said...

darling ... lovely. i'll have to get used to appearing among your pics ... me usually hates pictures of meself.

and please ... social networking site i recommended was FACEBOOK .. you'll soon realize, in that little world, that people have big opinions and there are big differences between FACEBOOK .. and all the other guys. myspace .. um, no. not this gal. you'll soon understand.

good for you for posting. and so eloquently too! maybe you should try a hand at writing?

C.S. said...

Thanks, Martha, for the kick-ass encouragement and kind words..the pics of you are lovely...I have made the change in the text and revised it to read "Facebook" -- and I'll be there very soon! Try my hand at writing? What did Dorothy Parker say, 'I hate to write but I love having written' --boy, ain't that the truth! Coinage

martha said...

and i love you for quoting anything from ms. parker. one of my heroines in hats .. :)